ancestryink fisherman

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Time Away and A Few Changes - Taking Your Genealogy on the Road

A long hiatus since my June 2014 post.  Genealogical research is ongoing here, amidst other life pursuits.

We have a new, fun TV show to watch hosted by PBS:  Genealogy Roadshow.  I love it.  It is much like Antiques Roadshow but with family research.  One of the main presenters was a consultant for my teaching team at Boston University.  


My favorite part is how quickly they pull together the family records and history of these "on-the-spot" families.  They make genealogy look easy!  It is what we call in the current vernacular "Pop-up Genealogy" and I find myself holding my breath as they very quickly reveal their results to a waiting family. 

Actually, I suspect there are many helping hands behind the "curtain" in order to pull together these shows and come up with their results.   Some of the stories so far have been fascinating. This season they've been in New Orleans which has a vibrant history.  I highly recommend watching it.



In a roundabout way, this leads me to changes here at AncestryInk.  Genealogical research is in fact, VERY time-consuming, as most of you who will be reading this will understand.

I have made some changes in my client practices.  For now, please review my Client Contract Page. In short, I am very much here to assist you!  Particularly in regards to sea-going ancestors from the Cape Cod and Islands area, southern Maine, and Essex County, MA.  Please feel free to contact me.

The prompt for the change comes in the necessity, and difficulty, in sharing a large body of research via email without being able to sit down in person to discuss your research project, in real time.  It is a cumbersome and at times confusing process to attempt this over email, for both you and me.  The result is that I have become more selective about taking on research projects.  Again, please contact me if you have a question about this.

Additionally,  I have experienced what many bloggers and social networkers encounter - really unpleasant, randomly negative Comments on this blog (yes, they are deleted).  Perhaps people feel they can speak their mind in some uncensored, abruptly rude fashion in the online world and it doesn't matter.  I do not feel that way.  I love genealogical research.  It's fun and exciting. I am wagging my tail in delight most of the time and I think the key to it all, is the ability to freely share what we learn, in order to help each other. It should never be about who knows more, or "who is right or wrong."

To solve this disheartening issue, I have removed the ability of the reader to post Comments to the blog. If you would like to get in touch to discuss anything written here  - feel free to email. Politely of course! (Happy Face emoticon inserted.)

Now back to the real purpose of it all: exploring history... See you again here soon.   Jane









No comments:

Post a Comment