ancestryink fisherman

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Getting Ship-Shape




Woke up this morning enlivened by a lonnnnng-awaited cool breeze wafting through my rooms, returning temperatures (and brain functioning!) to normal.

With the wind in my sails, I decided to bring the AncestryInk blog up to a more ship-shape condition.  There is one simple change of which to take note. I think it will help readers find resources more readily.

The right hand "research" menus have become more defined. There is now a "Maritime Research Online" list which should enable you to home in on maritime stuff right away, without weeding through links to genealogical resources.  "Genealogical Research Online" stands alone as a separate resource list.

The "Historical Societies" resource list remains the same.

Also, those who are interested in whaling crew lists and vessel lists and whaling voyages by year:

 The New Bedford P.L. (Public Library) has a great searchable archive.  And the New Bedford Whaling Museum ALSO has an archive.  Redundant, you say?  You would think.  However, I have searched for someone on one list, not found him, and then found that crewman on the other of the two lists.  So, try them both, just to be safe. The differences may just be a function of their search engine capabilities.

TIP: when searching for crewmen, in particular, if you are not finding them - try searching with just their last name.





Lastly, I have added a link to the really fabulous "Nicholson Collection" held by the Providence Public Library.  This collection holds many, many whaling logbooks - all digitized for you to read online.   You can search by vessel names which are listed alphabetically.  


I think that is about it!  Enjoy the cool air and I will see you next Maritime Monday.

2 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the logbook. I have photos of an ancestor's log book like this, with the whale stamps on it. But he was from the Netherland and it is all written in Dutch. I've had a page or two translated, but it's not the same as being able to read his words for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, You're very lucky to have a log book belonging to an ancestor, though. Any chance you could see the original in person? I periodically view the original log books of local Falmouth ships, at the Fal. Historical Society. They are fascinating, with images of ships and whales, and sometimes songs and poetry! I wonder if the Dutch used the traditional "So Ends This Day" at the end of each log entry?

    ReplyDelete