ancestryink fisherman

Friday, March 16, 2012

Speaking of Puerto Rico...

"Cementerio de San Juan is a famous and populated cemetery. It is a historic landmark that was the first of its type developed in San Juan. Initially, it was intended as a resting-place for famous war veterans from the colonial era. In this cemetery you can find important names from the 19th and early 20th century. The grounds are just outside El Morro and overlook the sea."

I love Puerto Rico. I have visited frequently. I'm not sure Rick Santorum has ever visited before this week, but English is spoken as fluently and as frequently as Spanish. Personally, I always feel a little embarrassed to not have a grasp of the Spanish language, when I"m there. It seems to me a courtesy to the very friendly, easy-going people of PR, to at least attempt to speak THEIR language. It would be devastating to the character of culture and history that is so unique to PR, to try and force English as a predominant language there.

And by the way, let's hear more about whether these conditions Santorum puts forth, for PR to become an official state of the United States, are even valid? I haven't heard one word about whether PR has a desire to give up their autonomy as a U.S. territory in order to become an actual state. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I haven't heard any discussion about it from the CNN gang at all!

Okay, I'll get off my podium and share something I love about PR..the graveyards. The cemetery of San Juan that sits on the dramatic seashore, next to the El Morro Fort is one of the most breathtaking I"ve seen. New England, the UK...we have our rolling green mounds and fields and wooded family burial plots - peaceful, verdant, mysterious, part of rural landscapes. But Puerto Rico has a different beauty when it comes to cemeteries...Above is a photo I took while vacationing with my daughter there, last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment